The Muslim Ban & Jeff Sessions
We know you all had a tough weekend of disbelief, anger, sadness and confusion, and we know that many of you were out in the streets standing up for American values of inclusivity and diversity. These actions are working, our Senators are listening, and according to MoveOn, our judges are forming opinions shaped by our outcries.
We must keep acting, and we must understand how the ban relates to the cabinet picks being forced through Congress. Jeff Sessions' job as Attorney General would be to protect American citizens and hold the government accountable, neither of which he can do since he is believed to be an architect of the Muslim Ban and other dangerous and unconstitutional policies being enacted.
We spoke with our Senator's aide on Friday and he told us that our outcries shaped her decision on DeVos, but they haven't been hearing as much outrage about Sessions. The ACLU is asking for our help on this. We have to make noise TODAY, they are listening!!!What you can do
DONATE TO THE ACLU & CAIR
Even if you've done it before. Even if you did it this weekend. If each of you donate $5 we can give them each an influx of $20,000 today!
1. CALL TO DEMAND A NO VOTE ON JEFF SESSIONS. His committee vote is tomorrow. No script necessary, just say no.
• Call the committee 202-224-5225
• Call your Senators 202-224–3121
• Have your friends in these states call their Senators: AL, AZ, CA, CT, DE, GA, IL, LA, MN, NC, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT
• more info here & here
2. ATTEND A VIGIL TONIGHT TO STOP SESSIONS Sponsored by the Women's March, Vigils will be held outside the Senate Judiciary Committee members offices, rally to demand that Senator Sessions’ nomination for U.S. Attorney General will not be furthered.
FIGHT THE BAN
1. CALL YOUR SENATORS, AND GOVERNOR TO DENOUNCE THE MUSLIM BAN using this spreadsheet that tracks their statements & positions and offers phone numbers and scripts. Also call your Congressional rep.
2. IF YOU NEED TO PROTECT YOURSELF read this guide from CAIR. Find pro-bono legal services, refugee assistance, or help in NYC.
3. ARE YOU A LAWYER? Volunteer with the ACLU, CAIR or a local group to do pro-bono work.
4. DO YOU SPEAK ARABIC OR FARSI? Volunteer to translate for the lawyers, contact the NY ACLU (212-607-3300), ACLU (212-549-2500) or the international refugee assistance project.
5. KEEP GETTING OUT IN THE STREETS. Find airport protests, nyc protests, and follow us on twitter for impromptu gatherings.
KEEP WORKING ON THE OTHER CABINET APPOINTMENTS!
Call your Senators, call the committee, & ask friends from the committee members' states to call. Find contacts here. Keep up to date here.
Mnuchins committee vote is Monday night 1/30
Committee: 202-224-5225 • more info
DeVos committee vote is Tuesday 1/31
Committee: 202-224-5375 • more info
Pruitt committee vote is Wednesday 2/1
Committees: 202-224-6176 (R) & 202-224-8832 (D) • more info
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
-Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)